All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDiscourse and Digital Practices shows how tools from discourse analysis can be used to help us understand new communication practices associated with digital media, from video gaming and social networking to apps and photo sharing. This cutting-edge book: * draws together fourteen eminent scholars in the field including James Paul Gee, David Barton, Ilana Snyder, Phil Benson, Victoria Carrington, Guy Merchant, Camilla Vasquez, Neil Selwyn and Rodney Jones * answers the central question: How does discourse analysis enable us to understand digital practices? * addresses a different type of digital media in each chapter * demonstrates how digital practices and the associated new techlogies challenge discourse analysts to adapt traditional analytic tools and formulate new theories and methodologies * examines digital practices from a wide variety of approaches including textual analysis, conversation analysis, interactional sociolinguistics, multimodal discourse analysis, object ethgraphy, geosemiotics, and critical discourse analysis. Discourse and Digital Practices will be of interest to advanced students studying courses on digital literacies or language and digital practices.
- Author BiographyRodney H. Jones is Professor of English at City University of Hong Kong. His main research interests include discourse analysis, health communication and language and sexuality. His books include Discourse in Action: introducing mediated discourse analysis (edited with Sigrid Norris, Routledge, 2005), Understanding Digital Literacies: a practical introduction (with Christoph Hafner, Routledge, 2012), and Health and Risk Communication: an applied linguistic perspective (Routledge, 2013). Alice Chik is Senior Lecturer in The School of Education at Macquarie University. Her main research areas include narrative inquiry, literacy, and popular culture in language education. She is the co-editor of Popular Culture, Pedagogy and Teacher Education: international perspectives (Routledge, 2014). Christoph A. Hafner is Assistant Professor in the Department of English, City University of Hong Kong. His research interests include specialized discourse, digital literacies and language learning and technology. He is co-author of Understanding Digital Literacies: a practical introduction (Routledge, 2012) and co-editor of Transparency, Power and Control: perspectives on legal communication (Ashgate, 2012).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/02/2015
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note12 black & white tables, 16 black & white halftones, 15 black & white line drawings
- Weight413 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byAlice Chik,Christoph A. Hafner,Rodney H Jones
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.