All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book assembles a selection of essays on Discourse and Intercultural Relations presented at Murcia University in September 2004. After the recent outburst of the East-West conflict intercultural relations and the challenges embedded in intercultural communication are of increasing importance. This compilation unravels these topics from the point of view of Discourse Analysis and Cultural Studies. The main aim is to highlight the discursive strategies employed by the dominant political elite in a variety of contexts to maintain and reinforce their power position in intercultural encounters. The paramount concern is, therefore, to reflect upon the interrelations between language, power and discourse (in the Foucaultian sense). Within a broad theoretical framework, the contributions are divided into two main parts. Part I includes papers which work within the field of Critical Discourse Studies and explore ideological issues, such as the concept of otherness, identity, race and the mass media s manipulation of public opinion. Part II adopts a more culturally based stance covering topics, such as intercultural competence, hybridity, intercultural education etc.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: U. Dagmar Scheu Lottgen has a Ph.D. in English and is Senior Lecturer in Cultural Studies at Murcia University. She has published, both nationally and internationally, in the fields of Discourse Analysis and Intercultural Communication. Jose Saura Sanchez has a Ph.D. in English and is teacher at The Foreign Service of Murcia University. He is also member of the research group -Cultural Studies in English and German Speaking Countries- of the Department of English Philology. He has national and international publications in research fields such as Ethnography of Communication, Intercultural Relations and Critical Discourse Analysis.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/08/2007
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight500 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byJose Saura Sanchez,U. Dagmar Scheu Lottgen
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.