All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHot on the heals of the award-winning and best selling Discovering Statistics Using SPSS, Third Edition, Andy Field has teamed up with Jeremy Miles (co-author of Discovering Statistics Using SAS) to write Discovering Statistics Using R. Keeping the uniquely humorous and self-depreciating style that has made students across the world fall in love with Andy Field's books, Discovering Statistics Using R takes students on a journey of statistical discovery using the freeware R, a free, flexible and dynamically changing software tool for data analysis that is becoming increasingly popular across the social and behavioural sciences throughout the world. The journey begins by explaining basic statistical and research concepts before a guided tour of the R software environment. Next the importance of exploring and graphing data will be discovered, before moving onto statistical tests that are the foundations of the rest of the book (for e.g. correlation and regression). Readers will then stride confidently into intermediate level analyses such as ANOVA, before ending their journey with advanced techniques such as MANOVA and multilevel models. Although there is eugh theory to help the reader gain the necessary conceptual understanding of what they're doing, the emphasis is on applying what's learned to playful and real-world examples that should make the experience more fun than expected. Like its sister textbooks, Discovering Statistics Using R is written in an irreverent style and follows the same ground-breaking structure and pedagogical approach. The core material is augmented by a cast of characters to help the reader on their way, hundreds of examples, self-assessment tests to consolidate kwledge, and additional website material for those wanting to learn more (at www.sagepub.co.uk/fieldandmilesR). Given this book's accessibility, fun spirit, and use of bizarre real-world research it should be essential for anyone wanting to learn about statistics using the freely-available R software.
- Author Biography
Andy Field is Professor of Child Psychopathology at the University of Sussex. He has published over 80 research papers, 29 book chapters, and 17 books mostly on child emotional development and statistics. He is the founding editor of the Journal of Experimental Psychopathology and has been an associate editor and editorial board member for the British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, Cognition and Emotion, Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review and Research Synthesis Methods. His ability to make statistics accessible and fun has been recognized with local and national teaching awards (University of Sussex, 2001, 2015, 2016; the British Psychological Society, 2007), a prestigious UK National Teaching Fellowship (2010), and the British Psychological Society book award (2006). He adores cats (and dogs), and loves to listen to and play very heavy music. He lives in Brighton with his wonderful wife Zoe, his son Zach, his crazy spaniel Ramsey and Fuzzy the cat.
- Author(s)Andy Field,Jeremy Miles,Zoe Field
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication22/03/2012
- SubjectSoftware Packages
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight2540 g
- Width195 mm
- Height265 mm
- Spine46 mm
Save on Other
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.45
- AU $121.00Trending at AU $126.82
- AU $35.59Trending at AU $65.68
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $51.09
- AU $37.01Trending at AU $41.11
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $28.08
- AU $34.05Trending at AU $34.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.