All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTaking an approach to the subject that is suitable for a broad readership, Discrete Mathematics: Proofs, Structures, and Applications, Third Edition provides a rigorous yet accessible exposition of discrete mathematics, including the core mathematical foundation of computer science. The approach is comprehensive yet maintains an easy-to-follow progression from the basic mathematical ideas to the more sophisticated concepts examined later in the book. This edition preserves the philosophy of its predecessors while updating and revising some of the content. New to the Third Edition In the expanded first chapter, the text includes a new section on the formal proof of the validity of arguments in propositional logic before moving on to predicate logic. This edition also contains a new chapter on elementary number theory and congruences. This chapter explores groups that arise in modular arithmetic and RSA encryption, a widely used public key encryption scheme that enables practical and secure means of encrypting data. This third edition also offers a detailed solutions manual for qualifying instructors. Exploring the relationship between mathematics and computer science, this text continues to provide a secure grounding in the theory of discrete mathematics and to augment the theoretical foundation with salient applications. It is designed to help readers develop the rigorous logical thinking required to adapt to the demands of the ever-evolving discipline of computer science.
- Author BiographyRowan Garnier was a professor of mathematics at Richmond, the American International University in London, where she served ten years as Chair of the Division of Mathematics, Science and Computer Science. John Taylor is Head of the School of Computing, Mathematical and Information Sciences at the University of Brighton, UK. He has published widely on the applications of diagrammatic logic systems to computer science.
- Author(s)John Taylor,Rowan Garnier
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication09/11/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Inc
- Content Note302 black & white illustrations, 23 black & white tables
- Weight1315 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.