All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeneral Purpose Simulation System (GPSS) is a special computer programming language primarily used to simulate what can be classified as discrete systems. A discrete system is one where, at any given instant in time, a countable number of things can take place. The basic operation of a mine itself can be considered such a system. Discrete Simulation and Animation for Mining Engineers explains how to model mining systems using GPSS/H(R) and PROOF(R) by Wolverine Software Corporation. Employing a unique approach that encourages engagement from the start, the text discusses animation first, and then slowly introduces simulation language. As each new topic is covered, an animation is provided to illustrate the key concepts. Leveraging valuable insight gained from the author's extensive experience modeling mines around the world, the book: * Describes how to apply discrete system simulation to mines * Shows how to make those simulations come alive with animation * Includes real-world examples and exercises that hone practical problem-solving skills Written by a mining engineer for mining engineers and students of mining, Discrete Simulation and Animation for Mining Engineers offers a comprehensive yet accessible treatment of mine simulation and animation useful in increasing the efficiency of industrial mining processes.
- Author BiographyJohn R. Sturgul holds a BS in mining engineering (with honors) from Michigan Technological University, Houghton, USA; an MS in mathematics from the University of Arizona, Tucson, USA; and a Ph.D in mining engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. He also holds an honorary doctorate from the University of Petrosani, Romania. Recognized as the world's leading authority on the application of discrete system simulation to mines, Dr. Sturgul is currently a professor of mining engineering at the University of Adelaide, Australia. He has been actively engaged in mine simulation and animation for more than 30 years. His work in this field has taken him to more than 60 countries and earned him numerous awards in Chile, Romania, the United States, Spain, Argentina, Peru, South Africa, Greece, and Australia, where he received the Ray Page Lifetime Achievement Award from the Australian Simulation Society. His model of the Lihir gold mine, located on an island northeast of Papua New Guinea, was the first example of a mine initially designed using a simulation model. He published the first textbook on the subject in 2000, and now this new textbook explains the details of constructing such models.
- Author(s)John R. Sturgul
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication23/10/2015
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note608 black & white illustrations, 31 black & white tables
- Weight1451 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.