All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a powerful argument that religious and theological issues should have place in issues of public morality, covering issues relating to euthanasia, assisted suicide, and abortion. Here is a pugnacious book by a philosopher who often hits the headlines. The book reflects on the nature of religion and how it relates or ought to relate to the rest of life. Many people today are totally indifferent to religion but religion is far from dead. Indeed religions are intensely defended and aggressively pursued. Religion is a cause for dissension and death. This is beyond dispute. Mary Warck is concerned with Christianity. She argues that to value religion as the essential foundation of morality is a profound and probably dangerous mistake. Warck's overriding concern is to argue that religions and morality must be prised apart, however close they may both have been in the past. Judges for example are constantly being asked to pass judgement on moral issues in court. Because of The Human Rights Act , the law perforce is involved. Morality is therefore increasingly a public and t just a private matter. This book tries to clarify the foundation of morality in a society largely indifferent to and igrant of religion.
- Author BiographyMary Warnock is by professional training a philosopher. She has also been a prominent figure in education, first as Headmistress of Oxford High School and then as Mistress of Girton College, Cambridge. No stranger to controversy, hastening the death of her terminally-sick husband and her views on teenage abortion are but two issues for which she has recently hit the headlines. She is the author of a number of books, most notably An Intelligent Person's Guide to Ethics.
- Author(s)Mary Warnock
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication02/09/2010
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Weight363 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.