All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA presence for decades in individuals' everyday life practices and identity formation, the Walt Disney Company has more recently also become an influential element within the big curriculum of public and private spaces outside of yet in proximity to formal educational institutions. Disney, Culture, and Curriculum explores the myriad ways that Disney's curricula and pedagogies manifest in public consciousness, cultural discourses, and the education system. Examining Disney's historical development and contemporary manifestations, this book critiques and deconstructs its products and perspectives while providing insight into Disney's operations within popular culture and everyday life in the United States and beyond. The contributors engage with Disney's curricula and pedagogies in a variety of ways, through critical analysis of Disney films, theme parks, and planned communities, how Disney has been taught and resisted both in and beyond schools, ways in which fans and consumers develop and negotiate their identities with their engagement with Disney, and how race, class, gender, sexuality, and consumerism are constructed through Disney content. Incisive, comprehensive, and highly interdisciplinary, Disney, Culture, and Curriculum extends the discussion of popular culture as curriculum and pedagogy into new avenues by focusing on the affective and ontological aspects of identity development as well as the commodification of social and cultural identities, experiences, and subjectivities.
- Author BiographyJennifer A. Sandlin is Associate Professor in the Justice and Social Inquiry program in the School of Social Transformation at Arizona State University, USA. Julie C. Garlen is Associate Professor of Education in the Department of Teaching and Learning at Georgia Southern University, USA.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication04/04/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleStudies in Curriculum Theory Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white halftones, 7 black & white line drawings
- Weight521 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJennifer A. Sandlin,Julie C. Garlen,Julie Garlen Maudlin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.25Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.