All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe decide by elections, but do we elect who the voters really want? The answer, as we have learned over the last two centuries, is 't necessarily'. What a negative, frightening assertion about a principal tool of democracy! This negativism has been supported by two hundred years of published results showing how bad the situation can be. This expository, largely n-technical book is the first to find positive results showing that the situation is t anywhere as dire and negative as we have been led to believe. Instead there are surprisingly simple explanations for the negative assertions, and positive conclusions can be obtained.
- Author BiographyDonald G. Saari is Distinguished Professor of Mathematics and Economics and Honorary Professor of Logic and Philosophy of Science at the University of California-Irvine, where he is Director of the Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences. He previously served on the faculty of Northwestern University from 1968 to 2000, where he held the Pancoe Professorship of Mathematics. A Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Professor Saari is the former Chief Editor of the Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. The author of more than 170 published papers, he has also written numerous books, including Basic Geometry of Voting (1995), Decisions and Elections: Explaining the Unexpected (Cambridge University Press, 2001), Chaotic Elections! A Mathematician Looks at Voting (2001), The Way It Was: Mathematics from the Early Years of the Bulletin (2003), and Collisions, Rings, and Other Newtonian N-Body Problems (2005).
- Author(s)Donald G. Saari
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/08/2008
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 b/w illus.
- Weight350 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.