All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDistant Desire focuses on the homoerotic desire coded in all of Forster's vels and illustrates how Forster's aesthetics have been formed by the homoerotic tradition of English Literature. The theme of male friendship occurs in every vel and is connected with the theme of journey. The ideal of male love is conceived as a distant desire. The underlying theme of male friendship in Forster's narratives constantly subverts the conventional, heterosexual plot of the vels. This work combines an interpretation of homoerotic themes with the cultural theories of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, such as Classicism and Orientalism.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Parminder Kaur Bakshi studied and lectured at the University of Delhi, India before coming to England to receive her Ph.D. She has worked at several universities in the U.K. and her academic interests include race and gender studies in addition to literature. She has written on homosexuality and Orientalism in Edward Carpenter and Late Victorian Radicalism and in a collection of essays on A Passage to India in the Theory in Practice Series.
- Author(s)Parminder Kaur Bakshi
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/05/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleSexuality and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1996
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight510 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.