All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfricans are among the fastest-growing immigrant groups in the United States. Although they are racially and ethnically diverse, few studies have examined how these differences affect their patterns of incorporation into society. This book is the first to highlight the role of race and ethnicity, Arab ethnicity in particular, in shaping the experiences of African immigrants. It demonstrates that American conceptions of race result in significant inequalities in the ways in which African immigrants are socially integrated. Thomas argues that suggestions that Black Africans are model-mirities who have overcome the barriers of race are misleading, showing that Black and Arab-ethnicity Africans systematically experience less favourable socioecomic outcomes than their White African counterparts.
Overall, the book makes three critical arguments. First, historical and contemporary constructions of race have important implications for understanding the dynamics of African immigration and settlement in the United States. Second, there are significant racial inequalities in the social and ecomic incorporation of contemporary African immigrants. Finally, Arab ethnicity has additional implications for understanding intra-racial disparities in incorporation among contemporary African immigrants. In general, these arguments are foundational for understanding the diversity of African immigrant experiences.
- Author BiographyKevin J. A. Thomas is an Associate Professor of Sociology, Demography, and African Studies at the Pennsylvania State University, USA and a Research Associate at Penn State's Population Research Institute.
- Author(s)Kevin J.A. Thomas
- PublisherMichigan State University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleRuth Simms Hamilton African Diaspora
- Place of PublicationEast Lansing, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichigan State University Press
- Out-of-print date17/04/2015
- Weight268 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.