All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy is the Western world's treatment of mental illness so flawed? Who really benefits from psychiatry? And why would a patient in Nigeria have a much greater chance of recovery than one in the UK? In Doctoring the Mind, leading clinical psychologist Richard Bentall reveals the shocking truths behind the system of mental health care in the West. With a heavy dependence on pills and the profit they bring, psychiatry has been relying on myths and misunderstandings of madness for too long, and builds on methods which can often hinder rather than help the patient. Bentall argues passionately for a new future of mental health, one that considers the patient as an individual and redefines our understanding and treatment of madness for the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyRichard Bentall has held chairs in clinical psychology at the universities of Liverpool and Manchester, and is currently Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Bangor in Wales. Known internationally for his research into the causes and treatment of severe mental illness, his previous book, Madness Explained: Psychosis and Human Nature won the British Psychological Society Book Award for 2004.
- Author(s)Richard P. Bentall
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication03/06/2010
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight281 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.