All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUntil recently, policy evaluation has mostly meant assessing whether government programs raise reading levels, decrease teen pregnancy rates, improve air quality levels, lower drunk-driving rates, or achieve any of the other goals that government programs are ostensibly created to do. Whether or t such programs also have consequences with respect to future demands for government action and whether government programs can heighten or dampen citizen involvement in civic activities are questions that are typically overlooked.This book applies such questions to local government. Employing policy feedback theory to a series of local government programs, Elaine B. Sharp shows that these programs do have consequences with respect to citizens political participation. Unlike other feedback theory investigations, which tend to focus on federal government programs, Sharp s looks at a broad range of policy at the local level, including community policing programs, ecomic development for businesses, and neighborhood empowerment programs.With this clear-eyed analysis, Sharp finds that local governments social program activities actually dampen participation of the have-ts, while cities development programs reinforce the political involvement of already-privileged business interests. Meanwhile, iconic urban programs such as community policing and broader programs of neighborhood empowerment fail to enhance civic engagement or build social capital at the neighborhood level; at worst, they have the potential to deepen divisions especially racial divisions that undercut urban neighborhoods.
- Author BiographyElaine B. Sharp is professor of political science at the University of Kansas. She is the author of several books, including Morality Politics in American Cities.
- Author(s)Elaine B. Sharp
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication23/02/2012
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleGlobalization and Community
- Place of PublicationMinnesota
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Content Note2 b&w photos, 18 tables
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.