All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionComprehensive and comprehensible, Doing Media Research is an accessible introduction to both qualitative and quantitative methods in media communication. Written in a straightforward and engaging style, this text takes the student through media research step-by-step. In order to provide students with a thorough understanding of the purpose and theories behind the various methodological approaches, the text is divided into four distinct sections: Part One lays out the foundations to each approach, Part Two describes the types of research questions and data collection required, Part Three details a range of quantitative approaches, and Part Four examines qualitative methods. Author Susanna Priest concludes with a discussion of special considerations for current media research including the feminist contribution, international and intercultural perspectives and new media techlogy. She also invites the reader to tackle issues such as ethics, objectivity, and the interpretation of data. Useful exercises are provided at the end of each chapter and there is a glossary which defines key terms and concepts.
- Author BiographySusanna Hornig Priest, Ph.D., has taught mass communication theory and research methods at the undergraduate and graduate level beginning in 1989. She holds a doctoral degree in communications from the University of Washington, a master's degree in sociology from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and a bachelor's degree in anthropology from the University of California at Berkeley. Her own research is centered on the role of science in American society and culture, its expression in the mass media, public engagement in science and science policy, and public opinion formation. She is also interested in the social roles of new media technologies. Priest has served as a member of the Research and Publications committees of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications and as chair and research chair of the Association's Science Communication Interest Group. She is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, past associate editor of the journal Public Understanding of Science, and current editor of the journal Science Communication. She regularly serves as an advisor to a wide range of academic projects, government agencies, and private organizations on communication, public engagement, and public opinion issues, and reviews research submissions for a variety of academic organizations and scholarly journals. Her current research is supported by grants from the National Science Foundation and other sources. Her publications include over 30 refereed research articles and nearly 20 book chapters, plus 2 books and the Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Communication, for which she served as General Editor. Currently, she is based in Camano Island, WA, and edits Science Communication.
- Author(s)Susanna Hornig Priest
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication03/05/2009
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width187 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.