All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBentinho Santiago, cosseted only child of a rich widow, lives next door to Capitu, the daughter of a lowly government official. As childhood friendship turns to adolescent love, an obstacle to the union exists in the form of a vow made by Bentinho s mother before his birth: her son is to be a priest. The lovers situation appears hopeless, but resourceful Capitu is t easily discouraged. De Assis weaves a powerful and ultimately tragic story of love and disillusionment, full of the subtle irony that is the hallmark of his writing. In Capitu, his enigmatic heroine, he has also created one of the most fascinating characters in Brazilian fiction.
- Author BiographyMachado de Assis, Brazil s greatest novelist, was a founder and first president of the Brazilian Academy of Letters. Robert Scott-Buccleuch held the Machado de Assis Medal for his translations.
- Author(s)Machado de Assis
- PublisherPeter Owen Publishers
- Date of Publication07/07/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Owen Publishers
- Weight249 g
- Width123 mm
- Height186 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $31.92
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.01
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.75Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.