All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBefore the Servant Project began its activities, on the initiative of the editor of this book, the long term history of domestic service was still in its beginning stage. This volume is the first wide-ranging attempt to determine the role of domestic workers both in past and present times. Domestic service was of major importance in the multi-secular process of urbanization and socio-ecomic development of European societies. Today, domestic workers (mainly women) represent an important component of international labour migrations to Western countries. Instead of disappearing, as expected for a long time, paid domestic work is currently experiencing a kind of -resurgence-. The contributions assembled in this volume analyze the situation of domestic workers, and contribute to improve kwledge concerning their individual characteristics (gender, ethnic group, religion), origin, motivation and cultural identity, relationship with their own families and those of the employers. Further topics are connections with the home country and place of destination, legal status, rights and duties, in order to understand the current globalization of domestic work.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Antoinette Fauve-Chamoux is Maitre de Conferences at Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences sociales (EHESS), Centre de Recherches Historiques/CNRS, Paris (France), where she teaches History of the Family. She was Researcher at the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, associate Professor at the University of Montreal, Canada, and currently associate Professor at the University of Salta, Argentina. As a social historian and historical demographer, she has edited several books and published numerous essays on the history of the family, Malthusianism, female migration, gender studies and social change in Europe, and comparative family transmission systems in Eurasia.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2005
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note32 ill.
- Weight870 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byAntoinette Fauve-Chamoux
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.