All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis path-breaking book by America's leading authority on the War of 1812 separates fact from fiction, myth from misconception. Few issues escape the author's gaze. He examines the role of Britons, Canadians and Americans; Indians, blacks and women; soldiers, sailors and marines. He asks some basic questions: What caused the war? When did the war begin and end? Who took the first scalp and who captured the first prize? What were the roles of Canadian traitor Joseph Willcocks, Mohawk leader John Norton and Canadian heroine Laura Secord? Who killed Tecumseh and who shot General Isaac Brock? When did the term War of 1812 come into general use? Who were the best and worst officers? Who were the unsung heroes? The book also asks some big questions, sometimes presenting controversial answers: What caused the war? Was the declaration of war a bluff? What impact did logistics have? How effective was civilian leadership? Who actually won the war? And what was the war's legacy? An entertaining, informative and provocative study.
- Author BiographyDonald R Hickey holds a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois and is a Professor of History at Wayne State College in Nebraska. He served as John F. Morrison Professor of Military History at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College in 1991-92 and as Visiting Professor of Strategy at the U.S. Naval War College in 1995-96. He has written five books and over 50 articles, mainly on the political, diplomatic and military history of the early American republic.
- Author(s)Donald R. Hickey
- PublisherRobin Brass Studio
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationScarborough, Ontario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintRobin Brass Studio
- Content Noteb/w photos & illus
- Weight650 g
- Width230 mm
- Height155 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.