All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $32.31Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
About this product
- DescriptionThose Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It. And so we have. Time again the mankind has faced down problems, but have failed to take the hard earned kwledge into the next battle of the same nature. This collection of essays will illuminate those problems we've faced over and over and the common threads that have stumped us for centuries. Including: Islamic jihads past and present: The Lesson of the Mahdi and the fact that the Saud family fled after the Wahabist defeat in Sudan will also explain a lot about our rather uncomfortable ally; Terrorists: Anarchists, Wooblies, Luddites, Spain against Napoleon, and the IRA all have lessons on what to do and what to t let them do to our society; Military Insurgencies: the Barbarian hordes, The Mau Mau of Kenya, Italian Freedom fighters in the 19th century, the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, and the Confederate forces of the American Civil War; Afghanistan Redux with the British, Russians, and Americans. Inflation and the devaluation of currency throughout history including debasing coins, letting inflation run wild: Roman Emperors creating worthless coins, silly ecomic policy in the Weimer Republic, and run away inflation Zimbabwe; Financial disasters like the Tulip Bubble and South Pacific Bubble; Ecological collapse like the Mayan agricultural collapse and the devestation cause by the Ice Ages; The Rise of radical political mirities in bad times including the Bolshevik Revolution and the coming of Nazis; and Pandemics and epidemics including the Black Death and other plagues through history. With more than 35 chapters of the Groundhog Days of world history, both infamous and obscure, Doomed to Repeat is chock full of trivia, history, and fascinating looks at the world's repeated mistakes.
- Author BiographyBill Fawcett is the author and editor of more than a dozen books, including You Did What?, It Seemed Like a Good Idea ... , How to Lose a Battle, and You Said What? He lives in Illinois.
- Author(s)Bill Fawcett
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication28/03/2013
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam Morrow Paperbacks
- Weight247 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.