Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionWe all relate readily to doorways - the possibilities they open up, their romance. The doorway tells us much about a building, its purpose and its occupier; and it has, throughout the ages, attracted the art of the designer and the skill of the craftsman perhaps more than any other architectural element. Michael Fewer takes a relaxed and imaginative look at how the idea of the entrance to a building has been dealt with by the builders, designers and craftsmen of Ireland from the earliest times until the present day. He considers function, style, composition, components and materials, together with design influences. The doors he examines range from the humblest to the most impressive, and from the architecturally significant to the whimsical, from the Seefin cairn at Kilbride, County Wicklow, dating from 3000 BC, to the eighteenth-century doors of Merrion Square, Dublin, and, coming right up to date, the doors of the National Gallery Millennium Wing. Describes and illustrates 54 doorways all over Ireland, from Neolithic times to the present day Provides a unique slant on the colourful history and architecture of Ireland By a kwledgeable and popular author
- Author BiographyMichael Fewer is an architect, environmentalist and writer whose published work over the last twenty years has included 14 books on subjects varying from architectural history and travel to walking and nature guides. His most recent books are Walking across Ireland, the story of a walking journey across Ireland at the turn of the millennium and (as co-author with Maurice Craig), The New Neighbourhood of Dublin, a history of the architecture of County Dublin.
- Author(s)Michael Fewer
- PublisherFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2008
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Content Note100 colour photographs
- Weight900 g
- Width250 mm
- Height267 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Photographs byMichael Fewer
- Edition Statement1st UK ed
Most relevant reviews
- pebbles193821 May, 2016by
Great book with fantastic photography and information. Great Value!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.