All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRobbie Darko is a magician. An old-school, pull-a-rabbit-out-of-your-hat-style magician. Robbie loves magic and he s good at itsort of. Despite his best efforts, passion, and practice, something always goes wrong with his tricks, landing Robbie in trouble. Enter crotchety Grandma Melvyn, who calls everyone Trixie and complains about everything. When Grandma Melvyn moves in and takes over his room, Robbie discovers that she was once an internationally rewned magician and learns about the heartache that turned her into a bitter woman. Against all odds, Robbie and Grandma Melvyn form an uneasy alliance to show the worldor at least the kids of Hobson Elementary Schoolthat he is a true magician. Shortly after a successful talent show, Grandma Melvyn performs a final disappearing act, and Robbie learns a little about the true meaning of magic. Written with pitch-perfect middle-grade humor and unforgettable characters, this gem of a vel will stay with readers long after Dorko the Magnificent has taken his final bow. Praise for Dorko the Magnificent A young would-be magician gets lessons in both stagecraft and life from a crusty elder... the supporting characters steal the show. Kirkus Reviews Short chapters keep the story moving. Robbie has impressive determination, but it is Grandma Melvyn who is the star in this moving story. Booklist Satisfying and enjoyable, Dorko will engage reluctant and voracious readers alike. School Library Journal A thoroughly likable middle-grade vel, offering a blend of poignancy and giggle-worthy humor, this book is a solid back-to-school read. The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Literature circles would work well with this title that deals with alienation, friendship, family, reconciliation, and death. Library Media Connection
- Author BiographyAndrea Beaty is the author of Secrets of the Cicada Summer, Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies, When Giants Come to Play, and Iggy Peck, Architect. She lives outside Chicago with her family. Andrea often visits schools to share her love of writing with students. Learn more about her programs and her books at andreabeaty.com and threesillychicks.com.
- Author(s)Andrea Beaty
- PublisherAmulet Books
- Date of Publication02/04/2013
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmulet Books
- Weight340 g
- Width145 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.