All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe appeal of a public house is the warm welcome from the landlord, having a friendly conversation with the regulars, sitting outside in summer to enjoy the sunshine or seeing a log fire glowing in winter. Dorset possesses a range of hostelries, from seaside taverns to rural beerhouses to large old coaching inns. Locals and holidaymakers love them but over the years thing stays the same. Some old thatched pubs have burned down and been rebuilt in a newer style, and many country village inns only survive as gastropubs. It is a pattern that has been repeated throughout the county. This fascinating collection of old and new photographs encourages you to explore the magical heritage of some of Dorset's best pubs - and perhaps sample a local beer or two!
- Author BiographyTim Edgell is passionate about beer and is an avid collector of brewery memorabilia. He is a member of CAMRA and the Brewery History Society. Previously he co-authored of Gloucestershire Pubs and Breweries with Geoff Sandles. Hopes that the book will encourage readers to visit a Dorset pub and savour the flavour of local ale. He lives in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire Hugh Elmes was born in1943 in a small town called Wareham in Dorset. Educated at local schools, he left at the age of 15 and spent the next 45 years in the motor trade. He started with an apprenticeship, then became a sales rep and ending up managing a garage. He retired at the age of 60 which gave him time to become a volunteer at his local museum and also being a Guardian at two local churches. He also wrote books about his life in Wareham which he self-published. He also wrote two books about Lawrence of Arabia that were accepted by the Lawrence Society. He lives in Wareham, Dorset.
- Author(s)Hugh Elmes,Tim Edgell
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/02/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note184, 96 colour illustrations
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.