Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.36Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA wintry Manhattan, 1927, finds Edna Ferber preparing for the Ferber season on Broadway. The bestselling author has two shows opening back to back. On December 27, the musical adaptation of Show Boat by Oscar Hammerstein and Jerome Kern. December 28: The Royal Family, her comedy of manners written with George Kaufman Ethel Barrymore has pondered legal action for the play s depiction of theatrical royalty like, say, the Barrymores. Why does Edna miss both opening nights? She has something else on her mind murder. Edna has been mentoring some talented, young black writers and actors who are part of the heady milieu of the Roaring Twenties Harlem Renaissance the jazz clubs, the faddish dances, the frenzy and the lively pulse of Broadway that entices these talented young Negroes to push for a downtown strut, for mainstream recognition for Negro voices and talents. Only recently have Negroes been allowed on downtown stages with Whites. Edna kws poet Langston Hughes, but she s most intrigued by unkwns. Her housekeeper s young son, Waters Turpin. Bella Davenport, a beautiful vamp. Ellie Payne, a jazz singer. Freddy Holder, a rabble-rouser. Lawson Hicks, Bella's handsome boyfriend. Taken by some fiction by the boyishly handsome Roddy Parsons, a charismatic man most recently in the Negro chorus of Show Boat, she heads to Harlem to take him to lunch, only to discover he s been stabbed to death in his bed. Who killed this promising young man? Recognizing her own fatal attraction to brash Jed Harris, the young producer of The Royal Family, a darling of the Broadway set but a toriously vain and cruel man, Edna includes him in a pool of suspects. Driven by curiosity, anger, and her sense of justice, Edna Ferber sets out to chase down the murderer rather than attend her plays opening nights. Edna Ferber, an equally shrewd but tarter version of Miss Marple. Publishers Weekly
- Author BiographyEd Ifkovic taught literature and creative writing at a community college in Connecticut for over three decades, and now devotes himself to writing fiction. A longtime devotee of mystery novels, he fondly recalls his boyhood discovery of Erle Stanley Gardner s Perry Mason series in a family bookcase, and his immediate obsession with the whodunit world. DOWNTOWN STRUT is the fourth mystery in his Edna Ferber Mystery series for Poisoned Pen Press. Previous books are LONE STAR (2009). ESCAPE ARTIST (2011), and MAKE BELIEVE (2012).
- Author(s)Ed Ifkovic
- PublisherPoisoned Pen Press
- Date of Publication06/08/2013
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleEdna Ferber Mysteries (Hardcover)
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPoisoned Pen Press
- Weight408 g
- Width145 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.08
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $34.27Trending at AU $40.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.