All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this quick-witted collection of poems, Nikki Reimer mines the language of new media -- hashtags, YouTube comments, Twitter updates -- to defamiliarize the very substance of modern life: the constellation of media-enforced ideals that barrage our newsfeeds, daily commutes to #work, and (mostly online) excursions to the (Apple) store. #nuffsaid DOWNVERSE soothes the oversaturated reader. A natural translator, Reimer writes for anyone who has felt overwhelmed by the phrase never read the comments. Paying close attention to musicality and her own poetic process, Reimer guides found text into whiplike stanzas with original typos intact. Conscious of its birthplace, DOWNVERSE crafts both an ode to and an elegy for Vancouver's middle-class, Gen-Y, millennial angst, and even Vancouver itself -- t the physical place, but rather the idea of #Vancouver, presented through images plastered over billboards and stamped into Special Edition footwear. In its shifty way, Reimer's text alternates between the voices of Vancouver's youth- and consumer-driven populace, asking the question, What happens when the Market is the Way, the Truth, and the Life? He had everything he had hoped to have by that age -- a well-paying job, a new house, a fancy car, true love -- but he still couldn't shake his jitters. What the hell do you kw about layout, anyhow? And so, on the afteron of the actual day, he swung by his doctor and had several units of Botox injected into the slight furrows in his brow. It was past midnight when we realized that the sunscreen we were wearing had sparkles. Thirty may have felt old to him, but there was reason he had to look it.
- Author BiographyNikki Reimer's first book of poetry, [sic] (Frontenac House, 2010), was shortlisted for the Gerald Lampert Memorial Award. She has published three chapbooks: that stays news (Nomados Press, 2011), haute action material (Heavy Industries, 2011), and fist things first (Wrinkle Press, 2009). Her poetry, artwork, and criticism have appeared in various places, online and off. Reimer has lived in Calgary, and Vancouver, and Calgary again, where she is currently director of the Chris Reimer Legacy Fund Society.
- Author(s)Nikki Reimer
- PublisherTalon Books,Canada
- Date of Publication03/06/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTalon Books,Canada
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight157 g
- Width127 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.