All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionAlfredo Quioones-Hijosa went from moving irrigation canals and picking tomatoes to fighting brain cancer. This endearing story, told in a first-person account, describes the journey: It takes us to his childhood in a tiny village in Baja California, Mexico, to neurosurgery research at the celebrated school and hospital, Johns Hopkins. The path starts with his childhood dreams, including how to dominate the workings of Kaliman (a comic book character), and to travel to distant worlds; and what takes place in the back-breaking work in the fields and railroads on the other side of the border, a community college, Harvard, and the University of California. The seeds that were planted in that youngster about self-help, the faith in family, and numerous mentors, bore fruit. His wholeheartedness, daring, and personal efforts to defy the obstacles and follow his calling will inspire readers to follow their own dreams.
- Author BiographyAlfredo Quioones-Hinojosa received an MD from Harvard University, where he graduated cum laude. He completed his residency in neurosurgery at the University of California, San Francisco, where he also did a postdoctoral fellowship in developmental and stem cell biology. He was recruited in 2005 to Johns Hopkins in the Departments of Neurosurgery, Neuroscience, and Cellular and Molecular Medicine, where he was promoted to full professor in 2012. He is currently the director of the Pituitary Surgery Program, director of the Brain Tumor Surgery Program at Johns Hopkins Bayview Hospital, and director of the Brain Tumor Stem Cell Neurosurgery laboratory and Neurooncology Surgical Outcomes Research Group at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is an internationally renowned neurosurgeon and neuroscientist who leads cutting-edge research to cure brain cancer. His autobiography, Becoming Dr Q: My Journey from Migrant Farm Worker to Brain Surgeon, received the 2012 14th International Latino Book Award for best autobiography.
- Author(s)Doctor Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa
- PublisherLid Publishing
- Date of Publication16/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Series TitleViva
- Country of PublicationSpain
- ImprintLid Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.