All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe years leading to World War I were the 'Age of the Dreadught'. The monumental battleship design, first introduced by Admiral Fisher to the Royal Navy in 1906, was quickly adopted around the world and led to a new era of naval warfare and policy. In this book, Roger Parkinson provides a re-writing of the naval history of Britain and the other leading naval powers from the 1880s to the early years of World War I. The years before 1914 were characterised by intensifying Anglo-German naval competition, with an often forgotten element beyond Europe in the form of the rapidly developing navies of the United States and Japan. Parkinson shows that, although the advent of the dreadught was the pivotal turning-point in naval policy, in fact much of the techlogy that enabled the dreadught to be launched was a continuity from the pre-dreadught era. In the annals of the Royal Navy two names will always be linked: those of Admiral Sir John 'Jacky' Fisher and the ship he created, HMS Dreadught. This book shows how the dreadught enabled the Royal Navy to develop from being primarily the navy of the 'Pax Britannica' in the Victorian era to being a war-ready fighting force in the early years of the twentieth century. The ensuing era of intensifying naval competition rapidly became a full-blooded naval arms race, leading to the development of super-dreadughts and escalating tensions between the European powers. Providing a truly international perspective on the dreadught phemen, this book will be essential reading for all naval history enthusiasts and anyone interested in World War I.
- Author BiographyRoger Parkinson is a naval historian with a PhD in Naval History from University of Exeter. He is the author of The Late Victorian Navy.
- Author(s)Roger Parkinson
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note30 bw integrated
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.