All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOutside the bounds of time, the legendary queen Sheherazade tells a little girl a story that has happened, and is yet to happen. Dreams of Maryam Tair brings readers to a Casablanca of myth and metaphor, of curses, witches, djinns and demons. But it is also a very present-day Casablanca: a raw, pitiless landscape of crumbling urbanism and rusty ports, of bureaucrats and student revolts, and of a deep human solitude. During the Casablanca Bread Riots of 1981, a child is born to a mother under surveillance and then detained. She is born with the scent of orange blossoms and a body filled with pain. They call her Maryam Tair. A special, singular child, she is prophesized to carry three perfect gifts-and one relentless curse.
- Author BiographyMhani Alaoui was born and raised in Casablanca, Morocco. Since earning her degree at the Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, she has conducted research in Paris, earned a PhD in Anthropology from Princeton, worked as a consultant for the United Nations in New York, and served as Research Director for a foundation affiliated with one of Morocco's largest public corporations. At 35 years of age, she plucked up the courage to quit her day job and focus on her writing. Her first novel, Dreams of Maryam Tair, was published by Interlink Books in the US in May, 2015.
- PublisherSkyscraper Publications
- Date of Publication08/08/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNewbold on Stour
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSkyscraper Publications
- Width134 mm
- Height204 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $71.91New
- AU $30.97New
- AU $16.40New
- AU $12.81Used
- AU $79.40New
- AU $18.71New
- AU $113.12New
- AU $22.40New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $26.29Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.40
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.71
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.47
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $92.43
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $14.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.