All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book that is devoted entirely to a discussion of the effects on drinking behavior of sensory stimulation of the tongue and mouth. As Blass and Hall (J 976) have recently pointed out, there has been an overrejection of the emphasis by Cann (1932) and Hull (1943) on the peripheral origins (e. g. , dry mouth, empty stomach) of the control of ingestive behavior. Thus most present-day investigators of drinking behavior have been concentrat- ing on central mechanisms of control, to the neglect of the periphery. In this volume we have attempted to bring together much of the pertinent peripheral literature through originally written chapters that are concerned with the role of orosensory factors in the mediation of drinking and licking. Postingestive effects of fluids receive little attention. Indeed, two chapters deal with consummatory licking in the absence of intake of fluids. A good understanding of the consequences of orosensory stimulation on licking and drinking behavior requires insight into the functional anatomy of the tongue and mouth, the characteristics of the licking response and the problem of recording of licking behavior. Several chapters deal with these subjects. It has t only been a pleasure but also a privilege to edit this volume. We have learned much from the expert treatment of the different aspects of licking and drinking behavior by the chapters' authors.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/10/1977
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byJ. A. W. M. Weijnen
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1977
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.