All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume is based on the program of the International Conference on Drugs of Abuse, Immunity and Immudeficiency held in Clearwater Beach, Florida. It was sponsored by the University of South Florida College of Medicine with the support of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. During the past few decades, drugs of abuse, including marijuana, cocaine, opiates and alcohol, have been studied by biomedical scientists in terms of the systemic effects of the drugs as well as alterations in neurophysiology and the psychology. More recently, the scope of such investigations has been broadened to include alterations within the immune system, and the influence of altered immunity on physiological and psychological consequences of drug abuse. In this regard, participants in the Clearwater Beach conference provided new information concern- ing both basic and clinical aspects of drugs of abuse and immunity, especially immudeficiency. Advances have been made in recent years in understanding the nature and mechanisms regulating the immune response and the mechanisms by which drugs may influence immune responses. In particular, the emergence of psychoneuroimmulogy as a new discipline has heightened interest in immune responses influenced by psychoactive drugs. This has resulted in interdisciplinary investigations involving clinical and basic scientists including microbiologists, immu- logists, physiologists, psychiatrists, oncologists and others. The recreational use of the above mentioned drugs by large numbers of individuals has aroused serious concern about the consequences of this activity.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/03/2012
- Series TitleAdvances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Part/Volume Number288
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight633 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byHerman Friedman,Steven Specter,Thomas W. Klein
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1991
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.21New
- AU $18.80New
- AU $10.94Used
- AU $24.85New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.60New
- AU $6.47Used
- AU $19.97New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.81New
- AU $11.56Used
- AU $24.00New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.91Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.58Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.06
- AU $16.85Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $79.05Trending at AU $90.48
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.