All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA stunning and elegant 150th Anniversary Edition of Whitman's celebrated Civil War poems, accompanied by moving photographs and artwork shedding new light on this tragic but significant chapter in American history. Drum Taps is the complete Civil War poem collectionby Walt Whitman, including the celebrated Oh, Captain, My Captain!, and augmented with Whitman's essays from the period on subjects such as Secession, Abraham Lincoln, working in the Civil War hospitals, and the assassination of the president. For the first time ever, each poemis set on a singlepage, and augmented with stunning artworkfrom the period: bright, rich, full-color engravings from Currier & Ives; the brooding and detailed photography of Alexander Gardner and Matthew Brady; watercolors from the battfield by Winslow Homer and other famous artists; and classic photographs and art from America s richest collections, including the Library of Congress, the National Gallery, the George Eastman House, and many other collections. With gorgeous, old-fashioned hot type, beautifully restored period artwork, and an authoritativeintroduction by Civil War historian and Pulitzer Prize-winner James McPherson, this is the richest edition of these moving and thoughtful poems by America s greatest poet ever published.
- Author BiographyWalt Whitman (1819-1892) revolutionized American poetry through the eleven editions of his magnum opus, Leaves of Grass, a celebration of the dynamism and diversity of a still-young America. Drum-Taps, first published in 1865, was written out of his experience as a nurse during the Civil War. It is a collection, he once wrote in a letter to a friend, put together by fits and starts, on the field, in the hospitals as I worked with the soldier boys. Lawrence Kramer is an author and composer who has often addressed Whitman's poetry in both capacities. He has set several of the poems from Drum-Taps to music and edited the essay collection Walt Whitman and Modern Music. Kramer is Distinguished Professor of English and Music at Fordham University.
- Author(s)James M. McPherson,Walt Whitman
- PublisherSterling Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication18/12/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCider Mills Press
- Weight839 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.