All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis handy guide to Dublin's architecture is filled with easy-to-follow walks through the city, with clear maps, expert architectural insights and fascinating historical detail, t to mention beautiful hand-drawn illustrations. Themes covered include hidden Dublin (including Isolde's Tower, the remains of a 13th-century defence tower discovered in the 1990s along with the skulls of a number of young men whose heads had been displayed on spikes); religious buildings (from Christ Church to the burial place of St Valentine); how buildings change their use over time (for example, City Hall, Bank of Ireland and Leinster House); and the buildings involved in the 1916 Rising (including the Royal College of Surgeons, City Hall, Liberty Hall, Kilmainham Gaol and, of course, the GPO).Dublin's long history has had a visible impact on its architecture: waves of invaders and the attempts by Dubliners to shake them off have left their mark, with the 1916 Easter Rising, for example, having led to the end of British rule but also left whole parts of the city in ruins. Each walk follows on from the one before and invites you to emulate Joyce's Leopold Bloom in strolling through the city.
- Author BiographyGregory and Audrey Bracken, from Co. Kildare, are a brother and sister with a love of travel. Between them they have published guides to London, New York, Paris, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, Singapore and others. Gregory has a Ph.D. in Architecture and is Assistant Professor at the Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands. Audrey has a BA in English Literature and Classics from NUI Galway and, after a career in publishing and marketing in London and New York, recently returned to live in Dublin with her two children.
- Author(s)Audrey Bracken,Gregory Bracken
- PublisherThe Collins Press
- Date of Publication21/03/2016
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationCork
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintThe Collins Press
- Content Note20 hand-drawn illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $75.00Trending at AU $84.72
- AU $53.95Trending at AU $54.55
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.62
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.00Trending at AU $22.01
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $21.84
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $30.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.