All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book deals with Dundee as a globalized and globalizing city in the early 20th century. How did the people of Dundee respond to the challenges of being the most ecomically globalized city in the world in the years before the First World War? The answer to this question is complicated by the fact that the aspect of globalization which impacted most directly on the ordinary inhabitants of Dundee was competition in the jute industry from Calcutta, a city within the British Empire of the early 20th century. Dundee had to cope t only with powerful low-wage competition in its staple industry, but the political reality that for decision-makers in London the fate of the British Empire in India was far more important than the ecomic well-being of a small Scottish city. The history of Dundee's response to these challenges combines global ecomic history with analysis of imperial relations, including how these issues were understood by ordinary Dundonians, as well as by politicians and policy-makers. This is a new 'global' history of Dundee's industrial era. It combines ecomic, political and social history. It explores the significance of empire for British policy. It shows how the challenges historically posed by globalization can best be analyzed.
- Author BiographyJim Tomlinson is the author of many works on economic history, including Jute No More; Transforming Dundee (DUP, 2011); The Labour Governments 1964-1970 (Manchester University Press, 2004) and Government and the Enterprise Since 1900 (Oxford University Press, 1994).
- Author(s)Jim Tomlinson
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note12 b&w illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.