All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDunstable, once a stagecoach centre, then a hat making town, and lately a major base for printing and vehicle manufacture, is once again reinventing itself to adapt to a changing world. Dunstable Through Time, based on the popular 'Yesteryear' series published each week in the Dunstable Gazette, contains a wide selection of historic photographs alongside pictures of the corresponding scenes today. The continuing transformation is astonishing. Chickens once roamed where a roundabout stands today. The Gary Cooper pub is on a park where the film star played 'cowboys and indians'. A school's nature pond marks the spot where parents dug an open-air swimming pool. Vast factories and three civic halls have vanished and houses w cover the site of the California ballroom. This book enables newer Dunstablians to explore the town's history through a fascinating selection of photographs.
- Author BiographyJohn Buckledee is a former editor of the Dunstable Gazette and Luton News and worked for local newspapers for nearly 50 years. He is chairman of the Dunstable and District Local History Society and composes the weekly Yesteryear feature in the Dunstable Gazette. He has edited reprints of three rare books about Dunstable and has published numerous historical articles about the town.
- Author(s)John Buckledee
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication12/06/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.