All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArguably sociology's first classic and one of Durkheim's major works, The Division of Labour in Society studies the nature of social solidarity, exploring the ties that bind one person to the next so as to hold society together in conditions of modernity. In this revised and updated second edition, leading Durkheim scholar Steven Lukes' new introduction builds upon Lewis Coser's original - which places the work in its intellectual and historical context and pinpoints its central ideas and arguments - by focusing on the text's significance for how we ought to think sociologically about some central problems that face us today. For example: What does this text have to tell us about modernity and individualism? In what ways does it offer a distinctive critique of the ills of capitalism? With helpful introductions and learning features this remains an indispensable companion for students of sociology.
- Author BiographySteven Lukes is Professor of Sociology at New York University, USA. He studied at Oxford and has previously held posts at Oxford, Florence, Siena and London. He is an emeritus Fellow of the British Academy and an editor of the European Journal Of Sociology. His writing and teaching have ranged over political science, political and moral philosophy, sociology, anthropology and the philosophy of the social sciences. He is the author of Emile Durkheim: His Life and Work (1972) and, most recently, Moral Relativism (2005).
- Author(s)Emile Durkheim
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication25/10/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published1982
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note4 black & white tables
- Weight648 g
- Width156 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited bySteven Lukes
- Edition Statement2nd New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.