All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book describes the relationship between the atmosphere and the external plasma of Earth in an unconventional manner. While the main mechanical energy is located in the dense atmosphere, the presence of Earth's plasma environment, which is immersed in the magnetosphere, causes a number of very interesting effects on the atmosphere. A list of such effects includes magnetic substorms, magnetic storms and aurora to the dynamics of the upper atmosphere, heating, thermal expansion, and vertical and horizontal winds. Particle precipitation produces excess ionization and electric currents, causes electric fields, affects recombination and modifies chemical reactions. These are processes which may become important in the climate. The collected articles provide an overview of these effects. This volume is aimed at graduate students and researchers active in the areas of atmospheric science and space science. Previously published in Space Science Reviews, Vol. 168/1-4, 2012.
- Author BiographyDr. Rudolf Treumann has been a Professor of Geophysics at Munich University since 1988. He was also a Senior Scientist at Max Planck Institute in Garching from 1980-2006. Prior to that, he served as an Assistant Professor at the Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland. As for his publications, he has contributed to 250 scientific works, among them are two textbooks: Basic Space Plasma Physics (p. 1996) and Advanced Space Plasma Physics (p. 1997). He was also the Co-editor of the Journal of Geophysics Research from 1990-1996, and has co-edited several Springer monographs (SSSI 6, 15, 34 and 39). He is a Fellow of European Academy of Sciences and won the French Gay-Lussac-Humboldt Award for Scientific Achievements in 2004.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication16/05/2012
- SubjectEarth Sciences
- Series TitleSpace Sciences Series of ISSI
- Series Part/Volume Number42
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight949 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byHermann J. Opgenoorth,James W. LaBelle,Jean-Pierre Pommereau,Kazuo Shiokawa,Rudolf Treumann,Stan Solomon,Tilmann Bosinger
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.