All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn its six case studies, The Dynamics of Gender in Early Modern France works out a model for (early modern) gender, which is articulated in the introduction. The book comprises essays on the construction of women: three in texts by male and three by female writers, including Racine, Fenelon, Poulain de la Barre, in the first part; La Guette, La Fayette and Sevigne, in the second. These studies thus also take up different genres: satire, tragedy and treatise; memoir, vella and letter-writing. Since gender is a relational construct, each chapter considers as well specific textual and contextual representations of men. In every instance, Stanton looks for signs of conformity to-and deviations from-rmative gender scripts. The Dynamics of Gender adds a new dimension to early modern French literary and cultural studies: it incorporates a dynamic (shifting) theory of gender, and it engages both contemporary critical theory and literary historical readings of primary texts and established concepts in the field. This book emphasizes the central importance of historical context and close reading from a feminist perspective, which it also interrogates as a practice. The Afterword examines some of the meanings of reading-as-a-feminist.
- Author BiographyDomna C. Stanton, Distinguished Professor of French at the Graduate Center, City University of New York, is the author of books and essays on early-modern French studies, women's writing and feminist theory, and the practices of Human Rights. She is past President of the Modern Language Association, former editor of PMLA, and currently serves on a number of non-profit boards.
- Author(s)Domna C. Stanton
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWomen and Gender in the Early Modern World
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 20 b&w illustrations
- Weight636 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Allyson M. Poska,Professor Abby Zanger
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.