All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a new edition of Roederer's classic Dynamics of Geomagnetically Trapped Radiation, updated and considerably expanded. The main objective is to describe the dynamic properties of magnetically trapped particles in planetary radiation belts and plasmas and explain the physical processes involved from the theoretical point of view. The approach is to examine in detail the orbital and adiabatic motion of individual particles in typical configurations of magnetic and electric fields in the magnetosphere and, from there, derive basic features of the particles' collective macroscopic behavior in general planetary environments. Emphasis is t on the what but on the why of particle phemena in near-earth space, providing a solid and clear understanding of the principal basic physical mechanisms and dynamic processes involved. The book will also serve as an introduction to general space plasma physics, with abundant basic examples to illustrate and explain the physical origin of different types of plasma current systems and their self-organizing character via the magnetic field. The ultimate aim is to help both graduate students and interested scientists to successfully face the theoretical and experimental challenges lying ahead in space physics in view of recent and upcoming satellite missions and an expected wealth of data on radiation belts and plasmas.
- Author BiographyCV Roederer Professor of Physics Emeritus, Geophysical Institute and Department of Physics, University of Alaska Fairbanks (since 1993). Senior Adviser, The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (1997-2003). Professor of Physics, Geophysical Institute and Department of Physics, University of Alaska Fairbanks (1977-1993). Chairman, United States Arctic Research Commission (presidential commission, 1987- 1991). Director, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 1977-1986. Dean, College of Environmental Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 1979-1982. Chairman, Advisory Committee, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Division of Earth and Space Sciences, 1985-1988. Vice Chairman, U.S. Arctic Research Commission, 1985-1987. Visiting Staff Member, Johns Hopkins University, Applied Physics Laboratory, 1987. Visiting Staff Member, Los Alamos National Laboratory, University of California, 1968-1981. Expert (consultant), Headquarters, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1974-1978. Visiting Professor, Stanford University, 1974. Professor and Senior Research Physicist, University of Denver, 1967-1977. Professor of Physics, University of Buenos Aires, 1959-1966. Director, National Cosmic Ray Center, National Council for Scientific and Technological Research, Buenos Aires, 1962-1966.
- Author(s)Hui Zhang,Juan G. Roederer
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication13/12/2013
- Series TitleAstrophysics and Space Science Library
- Series Part/Volume Number403
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note99 black & white illustrations, 1 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight485 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement2nd ed. 2014
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $29.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.