All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGlobalization, immigration and ecomic crisis challenge the conceptions of nations, trans-national institutions and post-ethnic societies which are central topics in social sciences' discourses. This book examines in an interdisciplinary and international comparative way structures of national identity which are in conflict with or supporting multi-ethnic diversity and trans-national connectivity. The book's first section seeks to clarify the concepts of national identity, nationalism, patriotism and cosmopolitism and to operationalize them consistently. The next section regards the diversity within national states and the consequences for the management of identity and intra-national integration. The third section focuses on external integration between different nations by searching for the squaring of the circle between the bonding with co-patriots and the critical reflection of one's own national perspective in relation to others. The last section explores to what extent and in which ways media use shapes collective identity.
- Author BiographyJurgen Grimm is Professor of Communication Studies at the University of Vienna. Leonie Huddy is Professor at the Department of Political Science at Stony Brook University, New York. Peter Schmidt is Professor emeritus at the Department of Political Science, University of Giessen, and State Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE), Moscow. Josef Seethaler is Deputy Director of the Institute for Comparative Media and Communication Studies at the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the University of Klagenfurt.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/02/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in Sociology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note33 black & white illustrations, 79 black & white tables, 33 black & white line drawings
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byJosef Seethaler,Jurgen Grimm,Leonie Huddy,Peter Schmidt
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.