All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen E. Franklin Frazier was elected the first black president of the American Sociological Association in 1948, he was established as the leading American scholar on the black family and was also recognized as a leading theorist on the dynamics of social change and race relations. By 1948 his lengthy list of publications included over fifty articles and four major books, including the acclaimed Negro Family in the United States. Frazier was kwn for his thorough scholarship and his mastery of skills in both history and sociology. With the publication of Bourgeoisie Noire in 1955 (translated in 1957 as Black Bourgeoisie), Frazier apparently set out on a different track, one in which he employed his skills in a critical analysis of the black middle class. The book met with mixed reviews and harsh criticism from the black middle and professional class. Yet Frazier stood solidly by his argument that the black middle class was marked by conspicuous consumption, wish fulfillment, and a world of make-believe. While Frazier published four additional books after 1948, Black Bourgeoisie remained by far his most controversial. Given his important status in American sociology, there has been surprisingly little study of Frazier's work. In E. Franklin Frazer and Black Bourgeoisie, a group of distinguished scholars set out to remedy that lack, focusing primarily on his often-scorned Black Bourgeoisie. This in-depth look at Frazier's controversial publication is relevant to the growing concerns about racism, problems in our cities, the limitations of affirmative action, and the promise of self-help.
- Author BiographyJames E. Teele is Professor of Sociology and African American Studies at Boston University. He is the author, coauthor, or editor of six books, including Evaluating School Busing: A Case Study of Boston's Operation Exodus.
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2002
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationMissouri
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight426 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byJames E. Teele
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.