Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.22+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom nationalisation in 1948, British Railways built huge numbers of EMUs for suburban and short/medium distance main line express duties, initially of pre-nationalisation design. In 1954 the Standard Mark 1 type was introduced, but was obsolete by the late 1960s. More EMUs were needed to replace life-expired pre-nationalisation sets still working as well as to provide for new electrification services that were planned. The result was a complete fresh start in design terms with Southern Regions' '4-PEP' design of 1971 from which several very successful classes were derived - the second generation. Second generation EMUs cover a huge number of current services today. As the 1990s dawned, change was in the air. The former British Railways workshops, already under the aegis of British Rail Engineering Limited, were to be sold and the privatisation of the entire BR network was looming. Before BREL was bought by ABB, they produced the first of the 'Networker' design in 1991 - effectively the first of the third generation of EMUs. From then on, t only was the 'Networker' produced in last numbers, but many other private concerns produced a variety of their own standard designs such as the 'Electrostar', 'Juniper' or 'Desiro', and some that did t spawn any derivatives, such as Hunslet's Class 323. Hugh Llewelyn uses a selection of his excellent photographs of EMUs to illustrate their history.
- Author BiographyHugh Llewelyn has combined a long term passion for railways with his skill as a photographer to produce this unique record of a modern traction icon. A former executive officer in the Railways Directorate, Hugh Llewelyn now devotes his time to photographing the railways in Britain and overseas.
- Author(s)Hugh Llewelyn
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication14/04/2016
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width246 mm
- Height168 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.