All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume traces the earliest receptions of Paul's Letter to the Romans , seeking to elucidate their hermeneutical strategies as they endorse, explain, construct, and rework Romans as a rmative authority. These early patristic readings of Romans by Clement of Alexandria, Irenaeus, Origen, and others are pivotal. Long before Augustine and Luther they set formative interpretive principles upon which is built the imposing yet diverse edifice of subsequent interpretations and uses of Romans. By the end of the second century CE, the letters of Paul had established themselves as authoritative bearers of divine revelation. Yet the task of tracing the earliest receptions of Paul's Letter to the Romans is challenging, because the thought world of the early Christians is remote, molten, largely oral, and as such, hard to trace. The essays in this volume rise to the challenge by explicating significant aspects of Paul's reception among early Christian readers. They ask: how did these readers construct Paul's view of pagan and Christian relations? Of the Gentiles? Of Jewish salvation? Of faith? Of resurrection? Of Christian Platonist principles? Contributors to this volume demonstrate specific ways in which Romans was appropriated to define the philosophy of Christian Platonism, a development which has had an enduring impact upon the creation of a Christian paideia.
- Author BiographyKathy Gaca is Associate Professor of Classics at Vanderbilt University. L.L. Wellborn teaches at the United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio.
- Author(s)Kathy L. Gaca,Laurence L. Welborn
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication22/12/2005
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight375 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.