All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is organized into two parts: Early Settlers of Alabama, Part I, by Col. James Edmonds Saunders; and Notes and Genealogies, Part II, by his granddaughter, Elizabeth Saunders Blair Stubbs. Part I began as a series of newspaper articles, first published by Col. Saunders, in the Moulton Advertiser, in April 1880, relating to the Early Settlers of Lawrence County [Alabama] and the Tennessee Valley. These articles, which increased in scope and material year after year, soon encompassed neighboring counties, the State, and adjoining States, ran in the Advertiser until 1889, and were subsequently published in book form. The author's recollections, as well as records, interviews and correspondence formed the basis for this work, and provide the reader with rare information and insights into the life and times of the early pioneers. In 1899, Elizabeth Saunders Blair Stubbs, the granddaughter of Col. Saunders, began what she described as a supplementary to the Colonel's Early Settlers, while the author was alive and able to approve and provide counsel relative to her contributions. Mrs. Stubbs compiled an ermous amount of information from original records and secondary sources, and consulted numerous authorities (which are listed in the Introduction ) in the preparation of this work. The genealogies, as a rule, begin with the immigrant ancestor, followed by their descendants down to the mid-nineteenth century, and are often supplemented with biographical information. The principal families addressed in this work include: Baldwin, Bankhead, Banks, Bibb, Billups, Blair, Cantzon, Clark, Clay, Coleman, Cox, Dohoe, Dubose, Dudley, Dunn, Elliott, Flint, Fountaine, Foster, Fry, Gholson, Goode, Gray, Harris, Hill, Hopkins, Hubbard, Kennedy, Lanier, Ligon, Lowe, McCarthy, McGehee, Maclin, McMillan, Manning, Maury, Moore, Mumford, Oliver, Ormond, Poellnitz, Ray, Richardson, Saunders, Shelton, Sherrod, Shorter, Speed, Swoope, Tait, Taliaferro, Thompson, Tillman, Urquhart, Walthall, Watkins, Webb, Weeden, Wells, White, Withers, Wyatt, Yates, and Young. Softcover, (1899), repr. 2008, 2011, Illus., Index, 590 pp.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Saunders Blair Stubbs,James Edmonds Saunders
- PublisherJanaway Publishing, Inc.
- Date of Publication07/06/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJanaway Publishing, Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight862 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.