All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fierce critique of productivity and sovereignty in the world of labor and everyday life, Bru Gulli's Earthly Plenitudes asks, Can labor exist without sovereignty and without capitalism? He introduces the concept of dignity of individuation to prompt a rethinking of categories of political ontology. Dignity of individuation stresses the tion that the dignity of each and any individual being lies in its being individuated as such; dignity is the irreducible and most essential character of any being. Singularity is a more universal quality. Gulli first reviews approaches to sovereignty by philosophers as varied as Gottfried Leibniz and Georges Bataille, and then looks at concrete examples where the alliance of sovereignty and capital cracks under the potency of living labor. He examines contingent academic labor as an example of the super-exploitation of labor, which has become a global phemen, and as such, a clear threat to the sovereign logic of capital. Gulli also looks at disability to assert that a new measure of humanity can only be found outside the schemes of sovereignty, productivity, efficiency, and independence, through care and caring for others, in solidarity and interdependence.
- Author BiographyBruno Gulli teaches philosophy at Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus, and at Kingsborough Community College. He is the author of Labor of Fire: The Ontology of Labor between Economy and Culture (Temple).
- Author(s)Bruno Gulli
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication13/11/2009
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Weight454 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.