All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book studies and evaluates the different translations of the Mu allaqat, seven canical pre-Islamic odes, from Arabic into English and French. First, it introduces the Mu allaqat and the chief controversies related to their study in both Eastern and Western scholarship. It then presents the translators of the Mu allaqat and their translations and closes with two typologies of the translations and translators presented. A number of criteria for the evaluation of translations of poetry are developed. The book provides a comparative study of the English and French translations of the Mu allaqat with a focus on a number of communicative priorities in the source text, based on stylistic devices that require a sound awareness of the culture of pre-Islamic Arabia, the main setting of the Mu allaqat. The author assesses the reliability of the criteria of evaluation and the translatability of the Mu allaqat as a text that is remote from its translators in time, in place, and with respect to literary tradition.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Raja Lahiani has a B.A. in English Language and Literature from the University of Sousse (Tunisia), an M.A. in Comparative Literature from the University of La Manouba (Tunisia), and a Ph.D. from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. She is currently teaching English poetry, theories of translation and comparative stylistics at the Faculty of Letters and Humanities, Sfax, Tunisia.
- Author(s)Raja Lahiani
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight520 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.51New
- AU $65.15Used
- AU $78.97New
- AU $105.90New
- AU $75.89Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $47.66Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.48
- AU $21.08Trending at AU $23.17
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.85
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.70
- AU $22.05Trending at AU $23.08
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $102.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.