All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collaborative masterpiece of hilarious city comedy was performed by the Children of the Revels at the Blackfriars playhouse in 1605. The story is of an allegorical simplicity that lends itself to satire of civic mores and traditions as well as to parody of the sentimental, idealising London comedy presented at the amphitheatres in the suburbs: Goldsmith Touchstone, an upright London citizen, has one modest and one ambitious daughter, one righteous and one disreputable apprentice; virtue is rewarded, ruthlessness comes to grief - and receives a drenching in the muddy Thames. The introduction to this edition discusses various methods of establishing authorship and highlights the irony of the collaborators' comic vision of contemporary London life.
- Author BiographyMichael Neill is Professor of English, Department of English, University of Auckland, New Zealand, and editor of the Oxford Shakespeare Antony and Cleopatra
- Author(s)Ben Jonson,George Chapman,John Marston,etc.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/08/1994
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleNew Mermaids
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMethuen Drama
- Content Note5 b&w photos
- Weight213 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Volume editorChristopher Gordon Petter
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.