All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLeo wants part of sitting down with his family to eat Nonna's big, delizioso lunch every Sunday. ?I'm t hungry, ? he insists. Not hungry? Hmm. Clever Nonna gets an idea. She'll use a story to lure Leo to her table. And since the pasta in her soup, called stelline (little stars), is woven into the story about a boy who journeys to his grandmother's at night, it works. But again on the following Sunday, Leo doesn't want to eat. So Nonna expands her story, this time adding some chiancaredde (paving stones), the name of the pasta she's serving that day, to create a path for her character to follow. Now Leo's hooked. So much that he begins to badger Nonna every Sunday to reveal more pasta-based details of the story. And week by week, as Leo's relatives crowd around listening to Nonna and teasing Leo to get him to mangia (eat), he slowly comes to realize just how happy he is to have a place at this table.
In this heartwarming picture book, award-winning author Caroline Adderson beautifully captures the love and tenderness Leo feels from his grandmother and the rest of his close-knit family through lively, true-to-life dialogue. The playful, detailed artwork by Josee Bisaillon helps bring all of them to life. This book offers a perfect framework for lessons exploring the heritage, customs and relationships of families. The unique story-within-a-story concept, along with the idea that Nonna's tale is being told cumulatively, could easily launch a storytelling assignment. Additionally, the section on pasta and the list of Italian vocabulary words make a great introduction to foreign cultures through food and language.
- Author BiographyCaroline Adderson lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, with her husband, her dog and the son who lied to her when he said he would always be seven.As a young girl, Josee loved drawing cats and houses. She really enjoyed school and always returned home full of stories to tell (and, of course, to draw!). She liked being in the classroom so much that she pursued her education all the way to university, where she studied graphic design. It was there that she fell in love with the occupation of illustrator.
- Author(s)Caroline Adderson
- PublisherKids Can Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2015
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintKids Can Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight376 g
- Width257 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Josee Bisaillon
- Format DetailsPicture book,Sewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $56.46
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.77
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.14
- AU $12.11Trending at AU $19.07
- AU $59.85Trending at AU $63.64
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $20.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.