All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe American West remains a period of fascination for many. In the relatively unkwn years between 1828 and 1853, however, it experienced a critical transition, one that would define the emergence of the West for years to come. Possessing remarkable historical and literary aptitude, Echoes from the West contains interpretively written factual stories of Americans, native and new, that occurred during this important twenty-five-year period. From tales of years in Oregon Country from fur trapper Jedediah Smith and fur trader John McLoughlin to stories of Hal Kelly, an agent of the Oregon Colonizing Company, and his new recruit, Nathaniel Wyeth, gifted historian Verda Spickelmier brings the tales of these intrepid men to vibrant life. In addition, Spickelmier shows the political impact of this westward expansion in Washington DC. Vivid snapshots of John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, and Martin Van Buren provide an intriguing glimpse into the inner workings of the government. As the country rapidly expands and moves inexorably toward division over slavery, each person's story becomes woven into the fabric of an energetic, yet struggling nation. Engaging and eloquent, Echoes from the West offers deep insight into a subject t often studied while simultaneously giving a delightfully imaginative twist to history.
- Author(s)Verda Spickelmier
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.