All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSt Lucia is the world's oldest protected estuary and Africa's largest estuarine system. It is also the centerpiece of South Africa's first UNESCO World Heritage Site, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, and has been a Ramsar Wetland of International Importance since 1986. Kwledge of its biodiversity, geological origins, hydrology, hydrodynamics and the long history of management is unique in the world. However, the impact of global change has culminated in unprecedented challenges for the conservation and management of the St Lucia system, leading to the recent initiation of a project in support of its rehabilitation and long-term sustainability. This timely volume provides a unique source of information on the functioning and management of the estuary for researchers, students and environmental managers. The insights and experiences described build on over 60 years of study and management at the site and will serve as a valuable model for similar estuaries around the world.
- Author BiographyRenzo Perissinotto is Professor of Marine Biology and Academic Leader in the School of Life Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa. He has published 110 articles in primary peer-reviewed literature and is the senior editor of a book on South African temporarily open/closed estuaries, published in 2010. Derek D. Stretch is Professor of Hydraulics and Environmental Fluid Mechanics, the eThekwini-sponsored Chair in Civil Engineering and Director of the Centre for Research in Environmental, Coastal and Hydrological Engineering in the School of Engineering, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa. Ricky H. Taylor was Park Ecologist for the iSimangaliso Wetland Park at Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife, St Lucia Estuary. He has 37 years of experience at the interface between science and management and has completed a PhD on the St Lucia system through the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication16/05/2013
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note80 b/w illus. 80 colour illus.
- Weight1270 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byDerek D. Stretch,Renzo Perissinotto,Ricky H. Taylor
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $33.67Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.