All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSouthern Europe has been hit hard by the global ecomic crisis and, as such, their welfare states have come under acute strain. Unmet need has sharply increased while significant welfare reforms and deep social spending cuts have been prominent in the crisis management solutions implemented by governments, labouring under EU constraints and the strict rescue-deal requirements for Greece and Portugal. This volume provides a systematic comparative appraisal of welfare-state reform trajectories across Southern Europe prior to and during the crisis, and traces the impact of austerity policies and wider recession upon income inequality and poverty. It brings together a number of cross-country studies on major social policy areas, raising crucial questions. What policy choices are driving reforms as Southern European ecomies work their way out of fiscal difficulty? Can the crisis provoke the improvement of institutional capabilities and recalibration of social? Or, instead, does structural adjustment indicate a significant policy turn towards the erosion of social rights? The contributions critically approach these issues and bring evidence to bear upon whether Southern European welfare capitalisms are becoming more dissimilar. This book was originally published as a special issue of South European Society & Politics.
- Author BiographyMaria Petmesidou is Professor of Social Policy at Democritus University of Thrace, Greece. She is a fellow of Comparative Research Programme on Poverty (CROP) and the International Social Science Council. Ana Marta Guillen is Professor of Sociology at the University of Oviedo, Spain. She is co-chair of Espanet-Spain.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/03/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSouth European Society and Politics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight408 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Edited byAna Marta Guillen,Maria Petmesidou
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.