All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany households in Ghana are exposed to risks from preventable diseases, poor weather, and ecomic mismanagement but they have limited access to quality health care because of existing ineffective financing options, especially for the poor and people who live in rural areas. This study uses data from the two oldest community-based health insurance schemes in Ghana to investigate the role of this type of schemes on access to health care and health care expenditures. It also examined how the schemes cover the people who need the advantages of insurance most; poor people and high risk individuals, who would find it difficult to pay for health care in the absence of insurance. The findings reveal strong positive effects on access to quality health care but portray remarkable exclusion of the poorest of the poor. The study highlights the need for improved rural health infrastructure and stronger linkages between modern and traditional means of risk sharing to make the newly introduced national health insurance scheme in Ghana more effective and equitable.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Isaac Osei-Akoto studied Statistics, Economics and Mathematics at the University of Ghana, Legon. He holds a B.A. degree in Economics and Statistics and an MPhil degree in Economics from Legon. He obtained his Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics at the Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn in 2004.
- Author(s)Isaac Osei-Akoto
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/06/2004
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleDevelopment Economics & Policy
- Series Part/Volume Number40
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note8 fig., num. tables
- Weight240 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.