All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionA monster stalks the earth--a sluggish, craven, dumb beast that takes fright at the slightest ise and starts at the sight of its own shadow. This monster is the market. The shadow it fears is cast by a light that comes from the future: the Keynesian crisis of expectations. It is this same light that causes the world's leaders to tremble before the beast. They tremble, Jean-Pierre Dupuy says, because they have lost faith in the future. What Dupuy calls Ecomy has degenerated today into a mad spectacle of unrestrained consumption and speculation. But in its positive form--a truly political ecomy in which politics, t ecomics, is predominant--Ecomy creates t only a sense of trust and confidence but also a belief in the open-endedness of the future without which capitalism cant function. In this devastating and counterintuitive indictment of the hegemonic pretensions of neoclassical ecomic theory, Dupuy argues that the immutable and eternal decision of God has been replaced with the unpredictable and capricious judgment of the crowd. The future of mankind will therefore depend on whether it can see through the blindness of orthodox ecomic thinking.
- Author BiographyJean-Pierre Dupuy is Professor of Social and Political Philosophy at the Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France.
- Author(s)Jean-Pierre Dupuy
- PublisherMichigan State University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleStudies in Violence, Mimesis, and Culture Series
- Place of PublicationEast Lansing, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichigan State University Press
- Out-of-print date16/04/2015
- Weight290 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.