All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEcotoxicology is the science that seeks to predict the impacts of chemi- cals upon ecosystems. This involves describing and predicting ecological changes ensuing from a variety of human activities that involve release of xebiotic and other chemicals to the environment. A fundamental principle of ecotoxicology is embodied in the tion of change. Ecosystems themselves are constantly changing due to natural processes, and it is a challenge to distinguish the effects of anthropogenic activities against this background of fluctuations in the natural world. With the frustratingly large, diverse, and ever-emerging sphere of envi- ronmental problems that ecotoxicology must address, the approaches to individual problems also must vary. In part, as a consequence, there is established protocol for application of the science to environmental prob- lem-solving. The conceptual and methodological bases for ecotoxicology are, how- ever, in their infancy, and thus still growing with new experiences. In- deed, the only robust generalization for research on different ecosystems and different chemical stresses seems to be a recognition of the necessity of an ecosystem perspective as focus for assessment. This ecosystem basis for ecotoxicology was the major theme of a previous pUblication by the Ecosystems Research Center at Cornell University, a special issue of Environmental Management (Levin et al. 1984). With that effort, we also recognized an additional necessity: there should be a continued develop- ment of methods and expanded recognition of issues for ecotoxicology and for the associated endeavor of environmental management.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication23/09/2011
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleSpringer Advanced Texts in Life Sciences
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight843 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byJohn R. Kelly,Kenneth D. Kimball,Mark A. Harwell,Simon A. Levin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1989
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.